Friday, February 22, 2013

Combating the February Funk

February tends to be a slow time of the year for our store. Sometimes the entire day will pass and the only person I see is the mailman. Being the extravert that I am, these slow days can really start to bring me down. I've tried extra hard this year to keep myself busy with odds and ends to pass the time and help me feel more productive at the end of the workday. Here are some of the projects I've been tackling in efforts to avoid what my family and I have identified as "Andy's February Funk".

1.) I purchased a used flat screen at a great price for the showroom. I hooked it up to my computer so I can show customers enlarged pictures of products they are considering. It's been very helpful to be able to show someone a picture of the exact item they're thinking about buying in the exact finish they like. Jenny helped me make a DVD that has a slideshow of product pictures on it. We run it on a loop so that pictures of things we don't have space for in the showroom are at least continually in sight. It has been neat to see customer's reactions. The biggest advantage is that people see stuff and ask about it without me having to pull out a catalog. Pulling out catalogs just feels kind of sales-y to me. The TV helps get the conversation started naturally on the customers terms. Both the TV and dresser came with warnings about how death or injury can occur from crushing if a TV falls, so I bolted and chained both to the wall. Turned out nicely, you can't really even see the chains unless you're on the side looking right behind the TV. 



2.) I ordered new product brochures and more business cards.



3.) I've been trying out new fun products. This chair has a slip cover that Velcros securely underneath giving it a clean look. The covering is removable / washable and can be swapped out for another fabric when you're ready to change things up. Pretty neat idea. 



 4.) This is a 4 foot by 4 foot "a-frame" sign I put out on the corner. I have been using a plywood version of this sign, but the paint was starting to fade. This will be a nice replacement and look more professional. Below is a picture of the way it use to look. It's kind of funny, but this sign is seriously some of the best advertising I have ever done.



5.) I finally revamped the website and gave some much needed attention to our social media. Jenny helped me shoot a video where I introduce myself and the store. You can see it on our website by going to "About Futons", or just watch it on our youtube channel. It feels good to finally be giving these things some attention. I have been resisting learning how to use social media for some time, but this February I finally got on board and it has been good for business.
www.customfutons.net
www.facebook.com/customfutons
www.twitter.com/customfutonsdbq
www.youtube.com/customfutons

So those are some of the things that have help keep me "funk free" this February. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment