Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Stand Up Desk

My brother-in-law Ben asked me last Summer to make him a standing desk. A standing desk is exactly what it sounds like, a desk that you stand at. Being a PHD student at the University of Toronto, he does a lot of reading and a lot of paper grading which means A LOT of sitting. He wanted something that could collapse down into a compact space but still be sturdy and offer a decent work surface. I came up with the following.









I then felt inspired to convert my own desk area into a stand up work space. Using some defected futon frame parts I created a little stand to use with my current desk so I now too have a stand up desk! The first week of using it I have to admit my legs and feet were sore, but after about two weeks I had made the adjustment and now I barely even notice I'm standing. My posture seems to be much better and I do actually feel better at the end of the work day because I haven't been hunched over in my chair for 9 hours.





Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. That's cool, I've always wanted to try a standing desk. Hemingway used one. I do get sick of sitting all day. I like the plywood design, seems like it would be easy to stash away.

    ReplyDelete